Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cambrie's first weeks home


          When I was nursing her at the hospital I noticed my nipple was odd shaped when she was done. I mentioned this to the nurse who didn’t act interested. Cambrie seemed to like nursing and seemed happy and content afterward so I let it go. After a few days I was in so much pain every time I fed her. My nipples were shredded and hurt so bad. I remember having pain with Bailey and Kinley and I remember it lasted a few weeks so I would just grit my teeth and get through it. At Cambrie’s two week check she weighed 6lbs 10 oz (not up to birth weight) and she was jaundice. Her Dr told me I could wait a few days and check her weight again or I could go ahead and supplement. I decided to supplement because I had a breast surgery after Kinley and I wasn’t sure if I was making enough milk… I started pumping and my milk supply was way down! I picked up so fenugreek to help boost my supply and started pumping 10times every 24hours. By 4days my milk was back up. I spent hours and hours researching breastfeeding problems and determined Cambrie had a shallow latch. This made milk transfer hard so she wasn’t getting much, making my supply go down. By the time I got it back up again she was used to the bottle so she then developed a lazy suck! Everything was going wrong! The one thing I had in my favor was she didn’t mind sitting at the breast for 45mins and practicing and then getting a bottle afterward. Today is day 4 of exclusively nursing not bottle! I’m so proud of myself I was determined to breastfeed. The bad thing now is she nurses with a nipple shield. I don’t mind its way easier to clean then bottles would be. Darcy used one for five months with June and reading about them they don’t affect your supply or anything. Cambrie still has a shallow latch so it’s the only way I can think to still breast feed because I wont exclusively pump that was to stressful and time consuming!

No comments: